Resistance Band Wrist Extension
- insert video for resistance band wrist extension
- Support affected forearm on a table, arm of a chair or your lap
- Hold one end of the band in your hand with palm facing down and step on the other end of the band to secure it
- There should be some tension in the band when your hand hangs downwards
- Slowly pull hand up towards the ceiling
- Hold 5 seconds
- Slowly Lower back down
- Make sure it’s only your hand moving relative to the rest of your arm – see video below
- insert video for common error with wrist extension with band
If the rest of your arm is moving, you are cheating! This is a very common error and can limit or slow down your progress.
If you notice an inappropriate pain response to this exercise (link to first tennis elbow article), you should start with less tension on the band or move to a lighter resistance band. If this is still too painful, then you need to switch back to isometric wrist extension.
Programming Resistance Band Wrist Extension
Hold: 5 seconds on each repetition
Rest interval: 30-90 seconds between sets
Frequency: Minimum 3 times per week
Once you are able to do 3 sets of 15 repetitions with your band, you can either move to a heavier resistance band or double the band up as seen below:
- insert video for resistance band extension band doubled
Once you are able to do this exercise with no pain during/after, you are ready to progress to the next level of loading.
– insert link for higher loading wrist extension exercises